Return to State Service from Retirement

Generally, when you return to work for an employer that offers the SERS benefit, your monthly pension payments stop.

The same is true if you choose to work for a public school district in Pennsylvania, as a member of the Public School Employees' Retirement System (PSERS), and you choose to combine your SERS and PSERS service for one state pension by electing "multiple service," - your SERS pension payments stop.

Returns After a Voluntary Retirement

The amount of your benefit when you retire again will depend largely on how long you work after your return. In rare circumstances, the monthly pension amount you receive when you retire in the future could be less than the benefit you received during your earlier retirement.

If you return to employment for less than three years, you will be entitled to the sum of:

  • The frozen present value of your benefit at the time of your return to work, based on the benefit payment option you elected when you first retired, the monthly pension payments you received before your return, and your age; and

  • A separately calculated amount based on your class of service and years of service during your second term of employment

If you return to service for more than three years, you will be entitled to the better of either:

  • A pension calculated as described above

  • A pension calculated combining both periods of employment. In this case, your future benefit will be reduced by the total payments you received while retired, plus interest.

Returns After an Involuntary Termination

If you appeal your termination and it is reversed, you must return any member contributions you withdrew and any pension payments you received from SERS between your termination and reinstatement dates. If you receive a back pay award, the amount you need to return to SERS will be deducted. If you do not receive a back pay award or your award isn't large enough to cover the amount you need to return, an invoice will be sent to you. You are welcome to pay in a lump sum or to set up payroll deductions to repay over time.