COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
invites applications for:
Information Technology Technician
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is proud to be an equal opportunity employer supporting workplace diversity.
|JOB TYPE:||Civil Service Permanent Full-Time|
|DEPARTMENT:||State Employees' Retirement System|
|CLOSING DATE:||07/14/17 11:59 PM|
|UNION:||AFSCME Master Agreement|
|BUREAU/DIVISION:||Technical Support Division|
|WORKSITE ADDRESS:||30 North Third Street|
|CONTACT NAME:||Katie Mathews|
This position is a member of the Technical Support Division which provides IT service and support to SERS agency users and members. The IT Technician works as a team member to provide exceptional customer support by maintaining, servicing, and supporting SERS' IT infrastructure and keeping abreast of current developments in technology and industry best practices.
This position provides tier 1 IT helpdesk support. The position is the initial point of contact for agency staff with IT problems. The position gathers initial information to determine the nature of the problem, logs and tracks incidents, resolves basic problems, and escalates more complex issues to another member of the IT team.
Hardware and software currently used within the agency includes, but is not limited to: Windows workstations and laptops; single printers and multi-function machines; Microsoft Office; Windows operating systems 7 and 8; Appworx; telephones; voicemail; tape backup; McAfee anti-virus; host intrusion prevention system (HIPS); Site Advisor and; SERS-specific applications – Document and Workflow Process Management (DAWPM) and State Employee Retirement Information System (SERIS).
|DESCRIPTION OF WORK:|
Serves as the primary and initial point of contact for agency staff experiencing IT-related problems.
- Answers agency helpdesk phone line.
- Monitors and acts on items in helpdesk email resource account.
- Identifies incidents/cases.
- Gathers, through client questioning and/or review of diagnostic data, problem specifics.
- Logs incidents/cases, including detailed descriptions and actions required for resolution.
Provides tier 1 helpdesk support for client workstations, peripherals, and software.
- Troubleshoots symptoms.
- Performs hardware and software diagnostic procedures, such as, but not limited to: ipconfig, net use, service stop/start, map drives, unc path connections, event viewer, and file properties.
- Provides, dependent on circumstances, written or verbal incident updates and problem resolution information to clients. Informs clients when an issue is escalated beyond tier 1 helpdesk support to another member of the IT team.
- Diagnoses basic operational network problems. Sets up and maintains network device connections, verifies network information, and troubleshoots connectivity problems using common network diagnostic tools such as ping and trace route.
- Reboots PCs, servers, switches, and routers.
- Maps network drives and printers.
- Unlocks and resets passwords.
- Installs, reloads, and updates software.
- Replaces desktop hardware and software.
- Provides support for all device drivers, patches, memory, hard drives, video cards, and registry configuration.
- Recovers local resources on user desktop such as individual files. Restores user data.
- Resolves problems of similar scope and complexity to those listed above.
- Uses remote control software to resolve IT issues.
- Escalates issues requiring more involved diagnostics and problem resolution to another member of the IT team.
- Maintains a repository of frequently asked questions (FAQ's) and common problem resolutions.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT, MONITORING, AND MAINTENANCE
Installs, maintains, and upgrades all PC hardware and software.
Re-images agency PCs following documented procedures and using the Symantec Ghost image repository. Assists with creating, updating, and maintaining imaging documentation.
Configures Active Directory to add or modify users, workstations, servers, group policy, or to reset passwords.
Automates processes within desktop applications using macros and other basic maintenance programming.
Develops, maintains, standardizes, or revises technical documents, user guides, release notes, help systems, document libraries, and documentation portals based on agency and user needs.
Utilizes traffic reports, bandwidth analysis reports, trending analysis reports, and system logs to monitor for inconsistencies. Resolves identified problems such as slow or broken connections, network errors, and over-utilization. Escalates issues requiring more involved diagnostics and problem resolution to another member of the IT team.
Installs CAT5/6, T1, fiber, and RS232 cable plant consistent with Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI) standards.
Configures and installs wireless technology consistent with relevant Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) standards.
Performs services related to vendor warranties such as logging, tracking, and reporting service incidents relating to IT hardware problems. Contacts vendors regarding maintenance and the receipt and return of hardware required for any repairs.
Runs daily distribution reports and Appworx jobs and ensures successful completion. Provides timely communication to staff members on results. Compares data from control totals to ensure completeness and accuracy of batch jobs.
Provides verbal and/or written instructions to agency users on the use of IT hardware and software.
Assists in administering system security standards, policies, and procedures.
Instructs end users on best practice security procedures to ensure proper usage of information technology resources.
Assists with conducting IT inventories and tagging IT equipment with inventory asset tags, scanning equipment, and inventorying items. Collects and inventories surplus equipment and processes according to agency surplus procedures.
Assists with testing and evaluating new products and technology and provides recommendations for agency use or implementation.
Completes tape backup rotation per agency procedure. Reviews system logs and tape backup reports for inconsistencies. Resolves issues such as, tapes missing or broken, tape read/write errors, and missed backups by repairing or replacing tapes or analyzing logs for missed backups. Escalates issues requiring more involved diagnostics and problem resolution to another member of the IT team.
Configures and installs telecommunications infrastructures including pots lines, T1 circuits, BICSI wiring standards, voice mail systems, VOIP, SIP, PBX, Auto Attendants , Unified Communications, traffic analysis, test sets, punch down tools.
Configures and modifies NEC8500 PBX for personnel changes and workstation moves.
Configures and installs smartphone technology (iPhone/iPad/Android) and assists users with the technology.
Configures Airwatch to manage and maintain agency mobile technology deployment.
Adjusts voicemail settings and performs changes to the dial plan to meet the needs of the agency.
Monitors event logs for inconsistencies and resolves as required or escalate to other team members.
Performs related duties as required.
|REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY:|
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
You must meet the minimum experience and training for the job title which are:
An associate's degree in any information technology field; or Two years of experience providing information technology support services involving hardware and software installation, operation, and maintenance; or An equivalent combination of experience and training.
Pennsylvania residency is required.
Reminder: The State Civil Service Commission has approved use of selective criteria for this position. Applicants must possess one or more years of helpdesk experience. Please be sure your application materials clearly reflect your experience in this area.
Failure to comply with the above application requirements will eliminate you from consideration for this position. Please use the contact information provided for assistance.
You can track the status of current SERS openings from the Jobs page of the SERS website.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
613 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17120
An Equal Opportunity Employer
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TECHNICIAN