| Description of Duties:
- Responsible to greet and assist visitors of SERS, which include active or retired members, State Officials, Investment Managers, Attorneys and the general public. Assists members by ascertaining their area of concern, reviewing their State Employees Retirement Information System (SERIS) computer records to answer questions and/or contact the specific area within SERS that can properly assist them. Answer questions of a general nature concerning retirement, supplemental benefits eligibility, and benefit processing. Responsible to attain knowledge of all areas of the Retirement System and current changes so that they may generally provide assistance on the subject in question. Answer main telephone lines, ascertain subject of call, answer general questions, and/or transfer call to appropriate staff member. Must be familiar with all retirement and health insurance related forms so they may assist members in completing forms both in person and via telephone. Required to compile statistics and prepare weekly reports for that section. Independently prepares memorandums, correspondence and reports as necessary and/or forms in work processing programs, which will improve the efficiency and accuracy of field office documents.
- Review and prepare documents for scanning. Scan documents into Document and Work Process Management (DAWPM) system determining proper batch to be used. Using DAWPM, indexes documents by determining proper category and priority, forward or reject folder as appropriate. Review DAWPM field office category daily. Review folders and documents for proper completion and missing documents. Forward, pend or reject as appropriate. Print copies to mail to the member as needed. Keeps a log of batch numbers and follows filing/storing requirements as established by SERS.
- Open, date stamp and record correspondence in mail log as needed. Distribute mail to appropriate staff member, Central Office, or other agency as required. Operate postage meter machine to weigh and stamp outgoing mail. Notify SERS Manager when postage falls below established amount.
- Prepare form letters and memos from written drafts, labels, etc, as required. File and purge documents and records in accordance with established procedures.
Assist the counselors with preparation of data and information needed for informational seminar programs. May attend presentation to assist with set up, registration and other duties.
PROCESSING OF RETIREMENT APPLICATION PACKAGES
Review all retirement, vesting, and option change application packages before scanning. Check forms for completeness. Return any incomplete forms to the counselor. Scan packages into DAWPM. Pend incomplete packages awaiting necessary forms, or forward completed packages for processing. Place tickle note on incomplete packages with a list of forms necessary to complete packages. When all necessary forms are received, forward the package. Maintain a record and type of packages forwarded for processing.
- Return a copy of the Retirement Application, beneficiary form, (if used) and other necessary forms to the member, along with appropriate letter informing the member that the package is complete and has been forwarded for processing.
- Respond to requests by members for various forms. Review SERIS screen to determine if requested form is appropriate. Review returned form for completeness and correctness. Check additional documentation, if required, for accuracy of information inserted on the form. If unacceptable, return the form to the member with a letter explaining the discrepancy and the corrective action required. Assist the member as needed. Maintain a log of returned forms.
ANNUITANT BENEFICIARY FORMS
- Receive and review all retired beneficiary forms. Check for Domestic Relations Orders (DRO) and retirement option. If unacceptable, send the letter explaining errors to annuitant with a copy of voided beneficiary form. Scan the copy of the letter and original beneficiary form. Index and review in DAWPM.
- Take appropriate information concerning death of a member. Forward information to Administrative Assistant. Stop monthly annuity for member in the absence of the Administrative Assistant.
UNRECEIVED CHECK PROCESSING
- If a member calls to report they did not receive their annuity check, review the payroll record to verify the check was issued. Inform member of time limit allowed to deliver the check and the process after a stop payment has been started. Contact the appropriate Central Office staff to report lost/stolen check and initiate the stop payment process. If the member was due a check and none had been issued, inform the member of steps necessary to have a check issued.
REQUESTS FOR SERVICE PURCHASES
- Assist members and agency personnel office staff in completing forms and obtaining documents necessary for purchase of service. Scan documents into DAWPM and forward completed requests for processing. Direct non-routine requests to appropriate staff member.
- Complete Client Data Sheet for members requesting retirement estimate as needed. Enter data into SERIS. Check for file or initiate a file for the member. Provide file folder with Client Data Sheet and printed SERIS information to appropriate counselor.
POWER OF ATTORNEY/GUARDIANSHIP
- Request and receive Power of Attorney (POA) forms and Guardianship papers. Review for Signature Verification form. Send for completion, if necessary. Forward both POA and Guardianship papers to Legal Division with cover memo-indicating reason for review. Scan cover memo and change requested to proper category in DAWPM. Follow up on POA approvals to ensure requested changes are made to account.
HEALTH CARE CHANGE FORMS
- Receive and review Health Care Change forms for accuracy and completeness. Contact annuitant for any additional information necessary to process changes. Send originals to Pennsylvania Employees Benefit Trust Fund (PEBTF) with any additional attachments. Scan and index form to Health Care Technician in Central Office using DAWPM. Answer questions regarding changes and follow up with PEBTF concerning non-receipt of medical cards and problems with coverage. Explain changes in medical coverage when annuitant becomes Medicare eligible. Maintain an updated PEBTF manual for reference.
- Serve as coordinator for voice operated mail system to include scripting, recording, and retrieving messages. Serve as primary operator in the Regional Counseling Center.
- Comply with agency policies regarding transaction reporting.
- Perform other office related duties as needed.