Military Service: Non-Intervening

Non-intervening military service is military service that, in general, occurred before you became a member of SERS. There are some cases in which military service is performed between periods of commonwealth employment but these are relatively rare.

If you have questions about military service, call your retirement counselor at 1.800.633.5461.

Keep in Mind

You are welcome to purchase credit for non-intervening military service at any time you are an active, contributing member of SERS by paying both the employee and employer share of the purchase.

You must have at least three years of commonwealth employment following your military service and you must have state service credit equal to or greater than the amount of non-intervening military service you seek to purchase.

Non-intervening military service must be purchased in one-year increments and you can purchase up to five years.

Costs are calculated on your average salary over the first three years of service times the number of years purchased, plus interest.

Proof of military discharge (such as a DD-214) is required and you cannot purchase military service if you have an undesirable, bad conduct, or dishonorable discharge.

You cannot purchase military service if you are receiving an active duty retirement.