Military Service: Intervening

Intervening military service is active duty with the U.S. armed forces that began prior to January 1, 2013. To qualify for intervening military service credit, you must have been a SERS member preceding the military service and must have applied to return to state service within 90 days of release from active duty.

If you have questions about military service, call your retirement counselor at 1.800.633.5461.

Keep in Mind

You are welcome to purchase credit for intervening military service at any time you are an active contributing member of SERS by paying the employee share of the purchase (your employer will pay the employer share).

Proof of military discharge (such as a DD-214) is required and you cannot purchase military service if you have an undesirable, bad conduct, or dishonorable discharge.

You cannot purchase military service if you are receiving an active duty retirement.